Skin,cells and tissues of the body are always under a constant phase of remodeling throughout our life; however, with increasing age, the regeneration capability of the most labile tissues like skin goes down. This is due to alteration in the composition and structure of connective tissue. Collagen protein is a very essential component of skin which is of utmost importance for the elasticity of skin. However, with varied situations like pregnancy, losing weight and with aging, the production of collagen reduces that leads to appearance of fine lines in and around chin, nose, and mouth, sagging of skin, loss of skin tightness and appearance of bags under eyes.
Methods to tighten skin without undergoing surgery are:
- Dermal fillers like Restylane, Radiesse and Juvedermcan soften the shadowing that takes place around facial creases and nasolabial fold, thus making cheek folds and jowls appear less prominent.
- Doctors may also suggest rejuvenating the skin with laser skin resurfacing. The erbium laser consisting of CO2 laser with Fraxel or Profractional technology are additional options.
- Varied machines or skin tightening devices are used in medical offices in order to tighten skin such as TITAN, Thermage or Refirme. Refirme uses IR and bipolar RF, Titan utilizes infrared light (IR) for skin tightening and Thermage uses unipolar radiofrequency energy (RF).
Natural skin tightening methods are:
- Exfoliate your skin: Exfoliating the skin removes dead skin cells and also stimulates circulation in that area so that the skin gets the crucial nutrients and oxygen. Dry brushing is a phenomenal and an excellent exfoliation method where skin should be brushed in the morning before shower. Skin and the brush, both should be dry.
- Use oil to keep skin hydrated: Coat of oil after the shower helps to trap the moisture in skin improving its elasticity.
- Apply skin-firming cream or lotion: Products’ containing vitamin A, collagen and vitamin E helps to tighten the skin. Some of them are:
- Athena 7 Minute Lift
- Olay Professional Pro-X Skin Tightening Serum
- Use skin mask: Skin masks strengthen the skin on the face and helps in rejuvenating the skin. Various kind of skin masks used are:
- Egg White and Lemon
- Honey and Milk
- Cabbage and Rice Flour Mask
- Egg White and Yogurt Mask
- Egg White and Flour Mask
Lifestyle Changes to Improve Skin Tone
- Regular massages:Regular massages help in skin tightening by increasing blood circulation and oxygen supply.
- Avoid harsh soaps
- Protect your skin from the sun: Sunscreen should be used regularly to prevent the skin from sun damage and to keep intact the elasticity.
Diet and Exercise Solutions
- Drink plenty of water:Plenty of water should be consumed regularly to keep the skin hydrated. Six to eight glasses should be consumed for best results. Drinking herbal tea and coconut water helps skin to stay hydrated, providing body with essential nutrients.
- Eat raw foods
- No Smoking
- Try weight training
- Do yoga
- Practice calisthenics